Recipe by Kiersten Phae
Another recipe from my sister-in-law. She made a version of this over Christmas and they were delish. They sound like a lot of work, but it isn't. Serving Size depends on the size of ribs. The time to make varies by how long you let it marinade.
Top Review by Elmotoo
OMGawd......drooool all day smelling this & mmmm MMMM tastes just as good. Nice & sticky, too! I used a jar of lemongrass (drained). I used jalapenos instead of thai bird chiles. I was out of ketchup so I used kecap manis (yes, really, lol). Falling off the bone finger lickin' awesome. Made for the Asian Forum's Chinese/Vietnamese New Year Tag. Thanks, Kiersten!
- 2 racks of baby-back pork ribs
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 4 shallots, peeled
- 2 thai bird chiles, stemmed, halved & seeded
- 1⁄2 cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 small Thai chile, stemmed, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brewed espresso
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons golden brown sugar
- 3 large fresh cilantro stems
- sesame seeds (Garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Marinade:.
- Trim bottom ½ inch from lemongrass stalks and discard.
- Starting from bottom, thinly slice remaining lemongrass until rings are no longer tinged with pink; discard remainder of each stalk.
- Place lemongrass in small processor and mince finely.
- Add sugar, oil, shallots, and chiles; process until finely minced.
- Add fish sauce until blended.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours (better overnight) in a Zip bag.
- For the Sauce:.
- Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add shallots, garlic, ginger and chile. Saute until soft about 3 minutes.
- Mix ketchup and all remaining ingredients.
- Bring mixture to boil; reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Transfer sauce to blender and puree until smooth.
- To prepare the Ribs:.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Place ribs bone side down, atop rack on rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast for 1 hour.
- Brush ribs generously on both sides with some honey-hoisin sauce.
- Roast 15 minutes.
- Brush ribs again with honey-hoisin sauce.
- Roast another 15 minutes.
- Cut ribs up and brush the ribs with the remainder of the honey-hoisin sauce.
- Add toasted sesame seeds over ribs, optional.