Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a hearty, meal-in-one dish that my Mother always made in the winter. It is one of our family's favorites and I hope you enjoy it as well.
- 4 lbs boneless pork loin country-style pork ribs, cut into serving pieces
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs small red potatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) bag carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lb white pearl onion
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded
- On waxed paper, thoroughly coat pork ribs with flour; reserve any leftover flour.
- In an 8-quart Dutch oven with ovensafe handles, over medium-high heat in hot salad oil, cook meat a few pieces at a time until well-browned on all sides, removing pieces to plate as they brown. Reduce heat to medium.
- Into drippings in Dutch oven stir reserved flour until blended. Gradually stir in apple juice. Return browned meat pieces to Dutch oven; add salt and pepper; heat to boiling.
- Cover Dutch oven and bake in 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Add potatoes, carrots and onions; cover and cook 30 minutes more. With spoon, skim off fat from liquid in Dutch oven.
- Add the shredded cabbage; cover and bake 1 hour longer or until the vegetables and meat are fork-tender, stirring occasionally. Serve.