Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Another from Ethnic Cuisine. KFC isn't the only thing that's finger-licking good. This Chinese dish is too and has a nice option - add halved hard-cooked eggs just before the dish has finished cooking.
- 21 ounces pork ribs, cut into bite-size pieces (1 lb 5 oz)
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 ounces rock sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- Put the pork ribs in a shallow dish and sprinkle over the dark soy sauce. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Break the garlic head into cloves, leaving the individual skins intact.
- Heat the oil in a preheated wok or deep pan over high heat. Add the garlic cloves and stir-fry for 1 minutes. Toss in the cinnamon and star anise and stir-fry for 1 minutes. Add the pork and stir-fry until beginning to brown, then stir in the light soy sauce, sugar, and water and cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Cover and simmer 1-1 1/4 hours or until the meat is very tender and the gravy thick and concentrated.