Recipe by Tonkcats
(Great Welsh Dish)
Top Review by ellie_
Wow! This is great! The only changes I made is that I didn't have any onions, so I used 2 shallots, chopped and instead of regular salt I used onion salt. The other spice I didn't have and thus omited was was nutmeg. I also added 1 package of frozen peas & carrots to the meat mixture. Because I added the vegetables I cooked it 5 extra minutes in the oven. Thanks Tookcats for posting this keeper recipe. We will definitely be making it again very soon.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb lean pork, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- pastry for double-crust pie
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in butter until golden.
- Add meat and cook over medium heat, stirring, until cooked through.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt, pepper and spices.
- Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup water then stir in remaining 3/4 cup w ater.
- Pour water into meat and mix well.
- Line 8-inch pie pan with pastry and pour in meat mixture. Add top crust. Pierce in several places to allow steam to escape. Bake on cookie sheet at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake another 30 minutes or until crust is golden.