Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cinnamon, raisins, lime juice and almonds - What a combination! All these flavors are in these empanadas to tempt your taste buds beyond belief!
For the filling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces pork tenderloin, trimmed, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 6 tablespoons chopped toasted almonds
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
For the Dough
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup masa harina (corn tortilla mix)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- 1⁄2 cup water, plus
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 large eggs
- sour cream
For the Chipotle Salsa
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- For filling:.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork, serrano chili, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and allspice to skillet and stir 3 minutes. Add raisins and lime juice; boil until almost all liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Mix in almonds and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper. Cool.
- For dough:.
- Butter 2 large baking sheets. Mix flour, Masa Harina, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Stir in melted butter. Whisk water and 1 egg in small bowl to blend. Add to flour mixture; knead in bowl until smooth pliable dough forms, about 2 minutes. Working with half of dough at a time, roll out on floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Using 3 3/4-inch-diameter biscuit cutter, cut out rounds. Reroll scraps and cut out additional rounds for a total of 12 rounds per dough half.
- Whisk remaining egg in small bowl to blend. Place 1 tablespoon filling in center of each dough round. Lightly brush edges with egg. Fold dough over, pressing edges with fork to seal. Place on prepared baking sheets. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic wrap; chill.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F Brush empanadas with beaten egg. Bake until light golden brown, about 25 minutes. Serve with Chipotle Salsa and sour cream.
- For Chipotle Salsa.
- Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS.
I didn't roll the dough thin enough. Still, I'm not seeing how I ever could have come up with 24. In any case, they turned out more like little pies... but that's due to my own ineptness. They were very good! I used a cookie sheet lined with parchment, and that worked like a charm in lieu of buttering the cookie sheet. Thanks!