Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is from my Chili Pepper issue from 2007, The Recipe Issue!
- 3 -5 medium onions, chopped roughly
- 3 celery ribs, chopped fine
- 4 lbs pork shoulder
- 10 garlic cloves, pealed and cut in half
- tony chacher's cajun seasoning
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- beer or chicken stock
- preheat oven to 250. Place the onions and celery in the bottom of a large roasting pan or Dutch oven,set aside. Prepare the roast by spiking it with Garlic.Make small deep cuts in the pork then stuff a clove of the garlic in each hole.Repeat all over the roast. Rub all side with Tony Chacher's seasoning.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat warm 3 tablespoons oil. Add the pork and carefully brown on all sides. When thoroughly browned, place the roast on top of the onions in the roasting pan or Dutch oven. Into the skillet add remaining oil and the flour,stir until flour cooks to a peanut -butter color. Scrape this mixture (roux) into the bottom of the roasting pan.Tent the roast with heavy foil or cover Dutch oven.
- Cook for 4-6 hours or until the meat falls apart when poked with a fork.In the first couple hours of cooking, check the liquid level in the bottom of the pan frequently, adding a little water,beer or chicken stock to maintain about 1 inch of liquid in the bottom of the pan.Serve.