1/2 Photos of Pork (or Chicken) Cacciatore Watermelon's Style
1 hr 30 mins
I made this for my BF's birthday.. he loved it.. so did all my guests! I served this with angel hair pasta. It can be made ahead, then reheated on low heat. Or you can let the stew cook on low heat for 4 hours. (the cooking time is just an estimation, the longer you simmer it, the more tender the meat will be)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bacon, chopped (I used back bacon)
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into bite sized pieces (or boneless, skinless chicken)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (I used Chardonnay)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like spicy)
- 8 ounces diced tomatoes (1/2 of a 16oz can)
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced thickly (portabello, shiitake are good)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1Saute bacon in a big saucepan, until browned and crispy; remove from pan, drain on paper towels.
- 2Season pork with salt and pepper.
- 3Using the reserved bacon grease, brown the pork pieces in batches; remove from pan and set aside.
- 4Using the same pan, saute garlic and onion until soft.
- 5Add bacon pieces and saute another 1 minute.
- 6Add pork pieces, fry for another minute.
- 7Stir in white wine and broth, let simmer in the covered pan for 5 minutes.
- 8Add oregano, tarragon, rosemary, bay leaf, cayenne and diced tomatoes; continue to simmer for 15 minutes or so.
- 9Add mushrooms, and cook in the covered pan until meat is very tender (if the stew gets dry, add a bit of water or broth).
- 10About 10 minutes before serving, stir in parsley and basil.
- 11Remove stew from heat and stir in the cream.
- 12Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- 13Before serving, sprinkle with more fresh parsley.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork (or Chicken) Cacciatore Watermelon's Style
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.2
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 97.9 mg
- Sodium 473.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 27.6 g