Recipe by JustJanS
Tomoko and her sister cooked this last night. It's from a Japanese cookbook Tomoko's mum sent us. This is our translation of the recipe. The recipe suggests it serves 6-8, but 4 of us ate it as part of a dinner with lots of small courses. I could have eaten all of it! Beef or chicken mince would be good with this too.
Top Review by Manon Barwick
This is a great week-day recipe because it is really quick and easy. But to add more flavour I think garlic +/or onion would be nice? Honey might also be nice? I have already made this a few times now and I really enjoy it!
- 500 g pumpkin (firm one)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 200 g ground pork
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water, extra
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the pumpkin into 2cm (3/4 inch) dice, put it on a plate, cover with wrap and microwave until tender (about 7 minutes) Allow to cool a little (so you can handle it) but whilst still hot, remove skin.
- Place the water, soy sauce, mirin, sugar, chilli and salt in a pan, when it boils, add the pork mince.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until all the pork is cooked and the colour has changed.
- Mix the cornstarch and extra water together add to the pork mince and cook until thickened.
- Pour this sauce over the pumpkin and serve.