4 hrs 25 mins
This is a classic known in Mexico as "Cochinita Pibil". If you watched the movie "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" one of the lead characters ordered this in every cantina he visited, and if it wasn't up to par, he shot the chef. I have put this together from several sources to make finding the ingredients simpler. I like it a lot, but If you're not satisfied, please don't shoot the messenger.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the onion in thin, long slices Add the onion and the bay leaf to a small heavy sauce pan and cover with a mixture of 1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar and 1/2 cup water, just enough to cover the onion.
- 2Boil the onion for 10 minutes or until fully cooked.
- 3Put the onion mix in the refrigerator, it should be served cold.
- 4Cut the pork into 2 inch cubes and marinate with the other 1/2 cup of Red Wine vinegar, the cup of orange juice, the cumin and oregano, and a pinch of salt.
- 5Add a teaspoon of chicken bouillon to 1 cup of water, and dissolve the achiote paste in it.
- 6Add to the meat and marinate and set aside for 3-4 hours.
- 7Set a heavy frying pan with tall sides on the burner over medium-high heat.
- 8Add the pork and marinate mix.
- 9Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3-4 hours or until the meat is very soft and pulls apart easily.
- 10Pull apart the meat and cook for a little while longer, add a little water whenever necessary to keep the meat covered. To Serve, heat the tortillas and enjoy. Cochinita Pibil is served on a plate where everyone makes "tacos" from it.
- 11To each tortilla, add some of the Cochinita, some pickled onions and Habanero sauce.
- 12The tortilla should get a little wet with the Cochinita sauce.
- 13It should not be dry.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Mexican Style
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 410.5
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 107.4 mg
- Sodium 167.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 25.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: