Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
An easy meatball recipe using Italian bulk sausage. Adapted from "Everyday with Rachael Ray," August 2009.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs italian bulk sausage
- 2 green onions, chopped fine
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices canned pineapple, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple liquid
- 1⁄4 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a medium bowl, combine sausage and half of the green onions; season with salt and pepper; shape into 16 meatballs.
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in rice, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in sesame seeds.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Cook meatballs about 15 minutes, turning so they brown evenly.
- In a small saucepan, combine pineapple, juice, chipotle, and cumin; cook over medium heat until sauce is reduce by half, about 10 minutes.
- Serve meatballs over rice, pour sauce over meatballs; garnish with cilantro and remaining green onions.