Recipe by x0x Erika Lopez x0x
This is one of my husband's favorite things to eat. I guess it reminds him of home. I have to admit that it tastes real good. Always serve with refried beans and fresh flour tortillas. My husbands sisterinlaw gave me a list of the ingredients and nothing else so I had to do everything by taste. I love cooking so I did it my way. I hope you enjoy it. You may not be able to find verdolagas but you can substitute watercress its just as good.
Top Review by Yolanda G.
I used country style spare ribs and pork shoulder meat and simmered for 1 hour before adding the tomatillo/chile/onion mixture. Meat fell off the bone, very tender and tasty. Next time I make it, I will add pinto beans to the stew rather than serve refried beans on the side. Family really liked this dish. Mexican Comfort Food!!
- 3 lbs pork stew meat, bone-out cubed
- 3 lbs pork stew meat, bone-in cubed
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 -3 jalapenos, chopped
- 4 -6 tomatillos, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- 3 bunches verdolagas - 3 bunches watercress
- salt (to taste)
- ground cumin (to taste)
- garlic powder (to taste)
- seasoning salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 (12 ounce) cansla sierra refried beans (if not using homemade)
- 1 onion, finely chopped (for the beans)
- 2 (12 count) packages flour tortillas (the fresher the better)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1) In a stock pot add water almost mid-way. When the water has come to a rolling boil add all the pork meat, ground cumino, seasoning salt, and black pepper to taste.
- 2) When the pork meat has turned color lower to medium heat and let simmer.
- 3) In a sauce pan fill the pot half way add the quartered onion, jalapenos, tomatillos, cilantro, and boil until the skin falls off of the tomatillos. When ready place them in the blender and liquify.
- 4) Add the sauce to the pot, make any adjustments to the seasonings at this time. Let simmer for 15 minutes and then add the verdolagas (after rinsing them) and let simmer for another 30 minutes or until meat is tender and verdolagas are soft.
- 5) Prepare the refried beans and flour tortillas. Serve hot. Enjoy!