3 hrs 15 mins
Hearty and filling, this comfort food comes from the Pennsylvania Dutch Chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. If you purchase the meat from the supermarket, you can generally skip the first step.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Clean pork knuckles, scrape and wash thoroughly.
- 2Combine with sauerkraut and cover with cold water.
- 3Cook slowly until knuckles are tender.
- 4Add melted butter to beaten egg and water.
- 5Sift dry ingredients together and combine with egg mixture; beat thoroughly.
- 6If necessary, add more flour to make a stiff enough batter to drop from a spoon.
- 7Twenty minutes before serving, drop the batter by spoonfuls into the hot sauerkraut.
- 8Cover tightly and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Knuckles With Sauerkraut and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 157.9
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 51.4 mg
- Sodium 1022.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: