Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Hearty and filling, this comfort food comes from the Pennsylvania Dutch Chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. If you purchase the meat from the supermarket, you can generally skip the first step.
- 5 pork knuckles or 5 pork hocks
- 1 quart sauerkraut
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Clean pork knuckles, scrape and wash thoroughly.
- Combine with sauerkraut and cover with cold water.
- Cook slowly until knuckles are tender.
- Add melted butter to beaten egg and water.
- Sift dry ingredients together and combine with egg mixture; beat thoroughly.
- If necessary, add more flour to make a stiff enough batter to drop from a spoon.
- Twenty minutes before serving, drop the batter by spoonfuls into the hot sauerkraut.
- Cover tightly and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.