A simple but tastey dish using pork chops, strips or cubed pork. The ginger (root beer) can be subbed with ground ginger and lemonade. This cooks well in a crock pot, it is a casserole. The vegetables give the dish a slightly sweet taste as well as colour. I serve this with potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork
- 1 onion, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 4 ounces green beans, sliced
- 1 chili, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 30 fluid ounces root beer
- 4 potatoes, thinly sliced
- In a large pan heat the butter and oil together, add the pork and onions, cook till pork is coloured. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add all of the vegetables, crumble the stock cubes into the vegetables, stir again and dust with the flour, stir once more and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the root beer bring to the boil stirring the mix till the sauce begins to thicken.
- Transfer to a casserole dish and cover with the sliced potatoes.
- Cook till the meat is tender, about 40 minutes.