1/1 Photo of Pork & Hominy in Red Chiles Soup/Stew
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
This untried dish is reminiscent of the more common chili verde except that the stock is made from dried rather than fresh chiles. As a big fan of the smoky ancho, it appeals to me and will soon make an appearance on my dinner table. In the meantime, I'm posting here for my fellow foodies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean pork loin, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 4 dried ancho chiles
- 4 -5 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups hominy, drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- corn tortilla chips (optional for garnish)
- diced avocado (optional for garnish)
- sliced radish (optional for garnish)
- lime wedge (optional for garnish)
- 1In a medium-large saucepan, add the water, salt and cubd pork. Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook pork about 20 minuts, until it is just tender. Remove pork from water using a slotted spoon. Cover pork with a damp cloth over a bowl to keep moist.
- 2In the same water used to cook the pork, add the ancho chiles. Remove from hat and allow the peppers to soak for 20 minutes. Transfer the softened chiles and liquid to a food processor or blender. Add garlic and oregano and process until smooth.
- 3In the same saucepan used earlier, add the oil and saute the chopped onions, stirring often until the onions are soft and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in the hominy, and the pureed peppers. Add chicken broth as needed to get the soup to reach the desired consistency or just a bit thinner than desired.
- 5Stir in the reserved pork, and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the pork cubes are tender, about 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- 6Laddle soup into bowls and allow diners to add condiments as desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork & Hominy in Red Chiles Soup/Stew
Serving Size: 1 (478 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 424.6
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 91.9 mg
- Sodium 970.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 39.9 g