Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A traditional american style green chili with a good kick. Easy for an almost from scratch dish, and a family style food. I make this for cook-offs, potlucks, house parties, and for the family dinners (usually weekend with long cook time).
- 3 lbs pork shoulder, cut in 1-2 in cubes
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 -2 cup green onion, chopped as garnish
- 4 tomatillos, diced
- 1 anaheim chili, diced with seeds
- 1 jalapeno pepper, dices with seeds
- 2 serrano peppers, diced with seeds
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) can whole green chilies, drained and chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn
- 1 (2 ounce) package fajita seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 3 -4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup beef stock
- Prep all fresh ingredients and place into 2-3 bowls. 1 bowl for the peppers and 1 bowl for the rest (keeping the green onion in a separate bowl if desired as garnish).
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil, in a 5 quart skillet, over medium heat. Season and toss pork with all pork seasonings above. Place in skillet before oil begins to smoke. Cook til pork is medium rare to medium.
- Add all fresh ingredients, except peppers. Stir, simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add all canned ingredients and seasonings, stir and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add peppers and simmer for an additional 2 minutes.
- Move to 6-8 qt crock pot and add stock, simmer over med-low heat for at least 30 minutes but as much as 6 hours.
- Optional: You may salt to taste and add cheddar cheese if desired (I always desire a little cheese). I also recommend you add cheese on a per bowl basis, not to the whole pot.