1 hr 20 mins
A traditional american style green chili with a good kick. Easy for an almost from scratch dish, and a family style food. I make this for cook-offs, potlucks, house parties, and for the family dinners (usually weekend with long cook time).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs pork shoulder, cut in 1-2 in cubes
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 -2 cup green onion, chopped as garnish
- 4 tomatillos, diced
- 1 anaheim chili, diced with seeds
- 1 jalapeno pepper, dices with seeds
- 2 serrano peppers, diced with seeds
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) can whole green chilies, drained and chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn
- 1 (2 ounce) package fajita seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- 3 -4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1Prep all fresh ingredients and place into 2-3 bowls. 1 bowl for the peppers and 1 bowl for the rest (keeping the green onion in a separate bowl if desired as garnish).
- 2Heat 3 tablespoons oil, in a 5 quart skillet, over medium heat. Season and toss pork with all pork seasonings above. Place in skillet before oil begins to smoke. Cook til pork is medium rare to medium.
- 3Add all fresh ingredients, except peppers. Stir, simmer for 2 minutes.
- 4Add all canned ingredients and seasonings, stir and simmer for 3 minutes.
- 5Add peppers and simmer for an additional 2 minutes.
- 6Move to 6-8 qt crock pot and add stock, simmer over med-low heat for at least 30 minutes but as much as 6 hours.
- 7Optional: You may salt to taste and add cheddar cheese if desired (I always desire a little cheese). I also recommend you add cheese on a per bowl basis, not to the whole pot.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Green Chili
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 424.4
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 98.7 mg
- Sodium 570.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 28.4 g