Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 hrs
The original of this recipe (which I've tweaked a bit!) was found in the February 2004 issue of Woman's Day. Not quite like my Mom used to make (served with macaroni) when I was a kid, but definitely in the running! Cooking time is for the lowest number of hours.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs pork butt, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, ready-cut, no salt added
- 1 (1 1/8 ounce) packet onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dill
- In a slow cooker (crock pot) mix pork, tomatoes, onion soup mix, paprika, garlic, and caraway seeds.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours or until pork is tender.
- When ready to serve, stir in sour cream (if using) and dill.
So easy to make and absolutely delicious. I used Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix for the onion soup mix, a little less caraway seed (personal preference), added 1 teaspoon sugar, and cooked on Low for six hours. Sour cream is definitely a great addition. Another family favorite. Served it with buttered egg noodles. It would also be good served with mashed potatoes. Made for Please Review My Recipe.
Very good and easy! At the end I added some chopped cabbage with the sourcream and dill. Easy and good! Thanks for sharing!
This was very good. I think next time I will add a bit more onion and cut the caraway in half. Served with whole wheat noodles.