Recipe by caromello
This is my mom's basic pork giniling (also a variation to her Corn Giniling). The annato powder (or achuete/achiote) can be found in ethnic supermarkets. It adds a mild flavor and a rich color to the dish. Leftover giniling can be used to combine with scrambled eggs to pan-fry and make torta.
Top Review by grnkisinger
this tastes very good! i just added & sauteed some chopped tomatoes together with the sauteed garlic & onions & also added frozen peas towards the end. the amount of fish sauce recommended is perfect. later, made wonderful torta (omelette) with fish sauce & lemon juice dip.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 4 medium raw potatoes, finely-cubed
- 1 medium onion, finely-chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, finely-chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons patis
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon achiote powder (optional)
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan, saute onion and garlic in oil.
- Add pork and brown, making sure to separate ground pork thoroughly.
- Add patis, cover and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small 1/4 inch cubes. Soak chopped potatoes in a large water bath to wash off excess starch.
- Drain and add potatoes and red bell pepper to pan.
- Mix and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add pepper to taste.