Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my mom's basic pork giniling (also a variation to her Corn Giniling). The annato powder (or achuete/achiote) can be found in ethnic supermarkets. It adds a mild flavor and a rich color to the dish. Leftover giniling can be used to combine with scrambled eggs to pan-fry and make torta.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 4 medium raw potatoes, finely-cubed
- 1 medium onion, finely-chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, finely-chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons patis
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon achiote powder (optional)
- fresh ground pepper
- In a large pan, saute onion and garlic in oil.
- Add pork and brown, making sure to separate ground pork thoroughly.
- Add patis, cover and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small 1/4 inch cubes. Soak chopped potatoes in a large water bath to wash off excess starch.
- Drain and add potatoes and red bell pepper to pan.
- Mix and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add pepper to taste.
this tastes very good! i just added & sauteed some chopped tomatoes together with the sauteed garlic & onions & also added frozen peas towards the end. the amount of fish sauce recommended is perfect. later, made wonderful torta (omelette) with fish sauce & lemon juice dip.
I made this recipe exactly as written, but added some frozen baby peas along with the other veggies. It is worth getting the authentic Filipino ingredients (patis and achiote) for this recipe as it would not be the same without them! To me patis has a milder and more smokey flavour than Thai style fish sauce and does not overpower the pork. The achiote adds a wonderful dimension of colour and flavour to the dish (I did not have any the first time I made it). I also used a deeper pan the second time, and it kept the dish a bit saucier. My husband said the only thing missing was vetsin (or MSG, common in Filipino cooking) to boost the flavour, but I refuse to put it in any of my food because of how bad it is for you!!! i might just add a touch of salt next time to please him. Overall a really great dish, thank you!
super-easy to make and delicious, too!