1/2 Photos of Pork Ginger Udon Soup Made Simple
I've been trying to come up with ways to have udon soups using ingredients readily available in the West and this one is it. Udon is Japanese wheat based thick noodle. You can use either dry udon (cooked per package instruction - make sure you rinse it very well in cold water) or fresh udon. If using chicken stock, best to use homemade, but best not to use chicken stock that has too much chicken taste such as Trader Joes. Swanson is ok. If using store bought broths, best to dilute it with 50% water so it's not so strong tasting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb pork, cut into extra thin bite size pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 carrot, skinned and cut into large julienne size
- 1/2 bunch spinach, washed and cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 napa cabbage, washed and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 1/2 cups cooked udon noodles
- 3 cups homemade vegetable broth (Swanson ok, see description) or 3 cups homemade chicken broth (Swanson ok, see description)
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger, paste form
- 1Lightly salt and pepper the pork slices. Sprinkle on 1/2 T cornstarch and lightly mix.
- 2In a small cup, mix 1 1/2 T cornstarch with 1 T water to make a thickening slurry and set aside.
- 3Combine vegetable or chicken stock and 1 T sake in a large saucepan and heat until it comes to boil. Turn down heat to medium.
- 4Add to the same saucepan, napa cabbage and carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened a bit. Then add pork slices. Continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- 5Add cooked udon, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and cornstarch/water mixture to the the saucepan. Lightly combine.
- 6Add spinach and cook until softened a bit but do not overcook, about 30 seconds.
- 7Divide into 2 bowls and top with grated ginger paste on top.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Ginger Udon Soup Made Simple
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 211.7
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 48.7 mg
- Sodium 872.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 20.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: