1/1 Photo of Pork for Peasants
7 hrs 35 mins
This dish is reminiscent of my Grandma's awesome Austrian cooking. I got the idea for this dish from a Mr. Food pressure-cooker recipe. I changed some ingredients and adapted it for crockpot. I prefer a slightly fattier cut of pork because it comes out so tender and flavorful. I've served this for dinner parties, and people always ask for a second helping. I serve this with egg noodles and applesauce. True comfort food!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs pork or 3 lbs boneless country-style ribs or 3 lbs pork loin chops, 3/4-inch Thick
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat, Rendered (I keep a can in my fridge)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 yams, approximately 1 1/2 pounds, peeled and cut into 2-inch thick slices
- 3 Red Delicious apples (Use apples that hold their shape when cooked) or 3 rome apples, peeled, cored, and cut cross-wise into three rings (Use apples that hold their shape when cooked)
- 1/2 cup cider or 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, Packed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 lbs sauerkraut, drained, not rinsed, squeezed dry
- 1Heat bacon fat in large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- 2Season the pork with salt and pepper, and brown for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3Place sliced yams in bottom of crockpot.
- 4Set crockpot on low.
- 5Layer the pork, including any pan drippings, and apples on top of the yams.
- 6In a small bowl, combine cider or apple juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice and caraway seeds; mix well and pour over the pork and apples evenly.
- 7Top with the sauerkraut. It's a tight fit, but my 5-quart crockpot lid does close.
- 8Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- 9Remove the lid and serve the pork with the sweet potatoes, apples and sauerkraut, spooning sauce over everything.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork for Peasants
Serving Size: 1 (626 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 778.7
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 194.9 mg
- Sodium 1347.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 28.2 g
- Protein 70.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: