Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Easy, Easy, Easy! A lighter version of the traditional Mexican roasted pork dish. The original title of this recipe is Succulent Spicy Carnitas, but if you are looking for the traditional flavor of carnitas this isn't for you. This easy recipe results in a flavorful pork, perfect for tacos or burritos. It is very mild in "heat" so you may want to add more chipotle. The predominant flavor comes from the cinammon. This recipe is perfect to store in the freezer and defrost in the fridge to make a quick after work meal. Serve with lime wedges, guacamole, salsa, sour cream and tortillas. From Lia Huber
- 1 tablespoon ground dried ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons dried chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt (if using regular salt, use less)
- 3 -4 lbs boneless pork shoulder
- Preheat oven to 275. Mix together spices and salt in a small bowl. Take pork out of its netting and rub the spice mixture all over, getting it into the nooks and crannies.
- Place pork in a Dutch oven, cover and bake in the oven for 3-1/2 to 4 hours, until pork falls apart with the touch of a fork. That's it. The easiest recipe you can imagine. Shred the meat and serve it on a platter along with the suggested accompaniments.
- Note: If you'd like to crisp up either medium-sized chunks or fully-shredded meat, saute in a bit of the pork fat or canola oil.