Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very basic recipe I am posting by request; it is one of my family's favorites.
- 1360.77 g cottage roll
- 1 large onion, halved
- 3 carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 2 bay leaves
- 14.79 ml peppercorn
- 1-1 head cabbage (whatever you need)
- 78.07 ml honey mustard
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- Put cottage roll in large pot or dutch oven; add onion, carrots, bay leaves, and peppercorns.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, depending on the size of the roast.
- Remove meat from liquid and place in a baking pan; brush with honey mustard and brown sugar mixed to a paste. Reserve the liquid to cook the cabbage.
- Place roast in the oven, just on "warm" while you cook the cabbage.
- Thinly slice cabbage and cook in the liquid that the roast was in for approximately 10 to 15 minutes until desired tenderness.
- Good served with boiled new potatoes.
Thank you Lois for posting my 82 year old mother's recipe! She made this economical (in other words cheap) dish many times over the years - its still one of my dad's favourite meals and reminds me of "home". Thanx again!
LoisM, this is exactly how I cook my cottage roll too! I also add the potatoes (small red ones or larger ones cut into quarters) and chunks of turnip during the last 15 minutes of cooking while the roast is in the pan; then I add the cabbage when I glaze the cottage roll in the oven @350 degrees. This is one of my DH's favourite dinners. It is a great meal for a cool fall day!!
Thank you so much LoisM for posting your tasty, tasty recipe.The cottage roll was fragrant,delicious,moist and tender.The mustard and brown sugar add a lovely flavour. What an excellant dinner it made,my family and I enjoyed it very much...Kudos