Recipe by Lois M
This is a very basic recipe I am posting by request; it is one of my family's favorites.
Top Review by CountryLady
Thank you Lois for posting my 82 year old mother's recipe! She made this economical (in other words cheap) dish many times over the years - its still one of my dad's favourite meals and reminds me of "home". Thanx again!
- 1 (3 lb) cottage roll
- 1 large onion, halved
- 3 carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 1⁄2-1 head cabbage (whatever you need)
- 1⁄3 cup honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Put cottage roll in large pot or dutch oven; add onion, carrots, bay leaves, and peppercorns.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, depending on the size of the roast.
- Remove meat from liquid and place in a baking pan; brush with honey mustard and brown sugar mixed to a paste. Reserve the liquid to cook the cabbage.
- Place roast in the oven, just on "warm" while you cook the cabbage.
- Thinly slice cabbage and cook in the liquid that the roast was in for approximately 10 to 15 minutes until desired tenderness.
- Good served with boiled new potatoes.