Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This a down-home dish with melting-pot flavors. Reprinted from 12 Best Foods Cookbook by Dana Jacobi.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thai red chili paste
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 golden delicious apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 4 (5 -6 ounce) boneless center cut pork chops
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Roast the sweet potatoes. Peel and mash them. There should be 3 cups.
- Reduce the oven to 350°F.
- For the gravy, in a bowl combine 2 1/3 cups of the sweet potatoes with the butter, chili paste, and half-and-half. Season it to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the creamy potatoes to cover the bottom of an 8" square baking dish. Set aside.
- For the stuffing, in a second bowl, combine the remaining sweet potato with the onion, apple, and breadcrumbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Make a 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" pocket in each chop. Pack the stuffing generously into the pockets.
- Combine the paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and onion powder in a small bowl.
- Rub 1 side of each chop with this mixture and set them seasoned side down on top of the sweet potatoes in the baking dish. Rub the remaining seasoning on top of each chop.
- Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake the chops 10 minutes longer, until they are nicely browned on top. Serve immediately.