1/1 Photo of Pork Chops With Sauteed Apples and Grits
Great autumn recipe, delicious with brussels sprouts or cabbage as a side. You can substitute polenta for grits if you wish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 pork chops (about 1 inch thick)
- 2 apples, cored and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3/4 quick-cooking grits
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons light cream
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Season the pork with 1/2 teaspoons each of salt and pepper and cook until browned and cooked through, 7 to 9 minutes per side.
- 3Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm; reserve the skillet.
- 4Add the apples and onion to the drippings in the skillet and cook over medium-high heat, tossing frequently, until slightly softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 5Add the broth, vinegar, and sugar and cook, tossing occasionally, until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 6Add 1 tablespoons of the butter.
- 7Return the pork chops to the skillet and cook until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil.
- 9Whisk in the grits and cook on low heat until thickened. Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/8 teaspoons nutmeg and pepper, and the cream.
- 10Top the grits with the pork chops and apple mixture and serve warm.
- 11For the leftover grits, pour into a shallow baking dish and refrigerate. When the grits are set, you can cut them into squares and fry in a little oil, then top with maple syrup for breakfast.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Chops With Sauteed Apples and Grits
Serving Size: 1 (408 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 542.9
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 165.1 mg
- Sodium 304.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 17.0 g
- Protein 43.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: