Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a 30 minute supper from Cook's Country. Use a vegetable peeler to obtain wide strips of orange zest.
- 4 bone-in center-cut pork chops, about 1 inch thick
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup orange juice, plus
- 3 -4 oranges, zest of (2 strips orange rind)
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Pat chops dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking.
- Add chops and cook until well browned, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer chops to a plate.
- Add remaining oil and onion to skillet and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in juice, zest, broth, sugar and hot sauce, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan.
- Cook until sauce thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Return chops and any accumulated juices to skillet.
- Simmer, turning once or twice, until sauce glazes chops and meat registers 145 degrees, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer chops to platter.
- Off heat, whisk butter into glaze and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon glaze over chops and serve.