1/1 Photo of Pork Chops With Mushroom Sauce
This originally came from Real Simple Magazine and lends itself well to improvisations. On the night I made it I realized I did not have any mushrooms so I left those out. My husband thought it was wonderful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 pork chops (originally called for "pork rib chops" I used boneless center cut chops)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter (I actually used Pam spray for oil and butter)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs button mushrooms, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon, zest of (I used way more)
- 1/2 cup white wine (had no wine, used sherry)
- 2 cups chicken broth (I only used about a cup)
- 1 cup heavy cream (I used about 1/2 cup Land O'Lakes Fat Free Half & Half)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (didn't use)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (used a dash of cayenne instead)
- 1For the chops:.
- 2Mix salt, paprika and pepper in a small bowl, rub onto chops.
- 3Heat oil& butter (or Pam) in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 4Brown chops 3 minutes per side.
- 5Cover, reduce to medium and cook until inside is just pink and juices run clear when pricked, about 10 mins; flip chops halfway thorough.
- 6(Since I was using very thick chops I started them off in the pan as directed and finished them in the microwave.) Serve with Mushroom Sauce and lemon wedges.
- 7Mushroom Sauce.
- 8Melt butter over medium heat.
- 9Add onion and garlic, saute until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- 10Add mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid and begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- 11(I had actually planned to use canned mushroom slices and wouldn't have cooked it 10 miutes).
- 12Add thyme, zest and wine/sherry, simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- 13Stir in cream, salt and pepper, simmer until lightly coats back of spoon.
- 14(Since the fat free half& half doesn't thicken that well, I used less liquid to begin with, and I always turn off the pan before adding the half& half.) Prep time and cook time is combined for both.
- 15Most of the chop cook time was pretty passive, but the sauce was more active.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Chops With Mushroom Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (634 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 637.6
- Calories from Fat 451
- Total Fat 50.1 g
- Saturated Fat 23.5 g
- Cholesterol 171.8 mg
- Sodium 2559.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 32.1 g