1/1 Photo of Pork Chops With Mushroom Sauce
This originally came from Real Simple Magazine and lends itself well to improvisations. On the night I made it I realized I did not have any mushrooms so I left those out. My husband thought it was wonderful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 pork chops (originally called for "pork rib chops" I used boneless center cut chops)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter (I actually used Pam spray for oil and butter)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs button mushrooms, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon, zest of (I used way more)
- 1/2 cup white wine (had no wine, used sherry)
- 2 cups chicken broth (I only used about a cup)
- 1 cup heavy cream (I used about 1/2 cup Land O'Lakes Fat Free Half & Half)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (didn't use)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (used a dash of cayenne instead)
- 1For the chops:.
- 2Mix salt, paprika and pepper in a small bowl, rub onto chops.
- 3Heat oil& butter (or Pam) in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 4Brown chops 3 minutes per side.
- 5Cover, reduce to medium and cook until inside is just pink and juices run clear when pricked, about 10 mins; flip chops halfway thorough.
- 6(Since I was using very thick chops I started them off in the pan as directed and finished them in the microwave.) Serve with Mushroom Sauce and lemon wedges.
- 7Mushroom Sauce.
- 8Melt butter over medium heat.
- 9Add onion and garlic, saute until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- 10Add mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid and begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- 11(I had actually planned to use canned mushroom slices and wouldn't have cooked it 10 miutes).
- 12Add thyme, zest and wine/sherry, simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- 13Stir in cream, salt and pepper, simmer until lightly coats back of spoon.
- 14(Since the fat free half& half doesn't thicken that well, I used less liquid to begin with, and I always turn off the pan before adding the half& half.) Prep time and cook time is combined for both.
- 15Most of the chop cook time was pretty passive, but the sauce was more active.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Chops With Mushroom Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (634 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 637.6
- Calories from Fat 451
- Total Fat 50.1 g
- Saturated Fat 23.5 g
- Cholesterol 171.8 mg
- Sodium 2559.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 32.1 g