3 hrs 10 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
German-inspired pork with a hearty sauce. From a recipe card at Wegmans grocery. If you can't find Quark Cheese, substitute fromage frais (very similar) OR yogurt cheese (more acidic) OR two parts ricotta cheese and one part sour cream OR strained cottage cheese OR mascarpone. Serve with blanched swiss chard and spaetzles with nutmeg.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1/2 ounce dried morel
- 32 ounces center-cut pork chops (4 chops, about 8 oz each)
- 1 tablespoon flour (seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 tablespoon shallot, peeled, chopped (about 1/2 large shallot)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup demi-glace
- 1/4 cup Quark (like Fromage Blanc)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Combine cooking oil and thyme in small dish; set aside.
- 3Soak mushrooms in 1 cup warm water 30-60 minutes.
- 4Dust chops with seasoned flour; pat off excess.
- 5Heat large ovenproof skillet on medium-high. Add just enough olive oil to coat bottom of pan and heat until oil faintly smokes.
- 6Carefully place chops in pan. Turn when carmelized (edges turn paper-bag brown about 1/4 of the way up the sides), 3-5 minutes.
- 7Top each chop with 1/4 Tbsp butter; drizzle with the thyme seasoned cooking oil (basting oil).
- 8Place skillet with chops in oven and bake 15-20 minutes, until thermometer inserted into thickest part of chops reads 145 degrees.
- 9Meanwhile, manually squeeze water from mushrooms (save liquid). Slice mushrooms in half lengthwise.
- 10Heat 1 tsp butter in medium skillet on medium-high. Stir in shallots and mushroom. Add wine and reserved mushroom liquid; simmer until almost dry, 10-15 minutes.
- 11Stir in demi-glace and Quark; heat to simmering.
- 12Add remaining 1 tsp butter.
- 13Remove skillet from oven; let chops rest 5 minutes to reach 150 degrees.
- 14Serve sauce over chops.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Chops With Morel Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 694.4
- Calories from Fat 392
- Total Fat 43.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 207.4 mg
- Sodium 169.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 63.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: