Recipe by Chef Sweet Sal
Wow! These are so good. I literally closed my eyes when I ate them. Your family will want them, and your guests will beg you for the recipe. This is a Rachael Ray all time hit. The fresh piece of ginger is key here (only costs about .30 or.40 cents), so don't short cut with dried or you will be missing out. You can use regular raisins if you don't have golden.
Top Review by ~Lynn~
I just found this recipe on the foodnetwork site yesterday and tried it last night for a dinner party. It was absolutely delicious and simple to make! My guests loved it (and devoured it)! Thanks for posting a recipe I highly recommend. Note: I used red delicious apples with the skin on and a handful of regular dark raisins and it turned out perfect. You really can use any apple for this dish I think.
- 4 golden delicious apples, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 ounces golden raisins, a handful
- 1 inch piece fresh gingerroot
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 cups apple juice or 2 cups cider, plus a splash for pan sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 4 (6 -8 ounce) thick center cut boneless pork chops, 1 inch thick
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a medium pot placed over medium high heat and cook until a chunky sauce forms, 10 to 20 minutes (depends on consistency you prefer), stirring occasionally. If sauce begins to spatter as it bubbles, reduce heat back a little, but it should be allowed to reduce and form quickly. Once apples are soft and sauce forms, remove it from the heat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to the pan. Season chops on 1 side with salt and pepper. Using a pair of tongs, add chops to hot skillet seasoned side down. Season the opposite side of the chops with salt and pepper. Brown and caramelize the chops 2 minutes on each side, then reduce heat to medium and cook another 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, until juices run clear.
- Remove chops from heat and let them rest a couple of minutes for juice to redistribute. Deglaze the pan with a splash of apple juice and 2 tablespoons of butter. Pour pan sauce over chops. Remove ginger from the sauce and top chops with generous portions of warm golden apple sauce.