1/2 Photos of Pork Chops With Caramelized Onions and Smoked Gouda
1 hr 15 mins
Pork chops served over caramelized onions with a rich sauce sprinkled with smoked gouda. From Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 64 ounces pork chops, center cut, 8-ounces each, 1-inch thick
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup smoked gouda cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1Preheat oven to 350ºF. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Season pork with salt and pepper. Dredge in 1 cup flour; shake off excess. Working in batches, add pork to skillets and saute until brown, about 3 minutes per side. Arrange pork in single layer in 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon paprika over pork.
- 2Discard contents of skillet; wipe clean. Add 3 tablespoons oil; heat over medium-high heat. Add onions; sprinkle with sugar and saute until well browned, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Add garlic; saute 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon paprika. Place onions over pork. Pour enough broth over so that chops are almost covered. Cover with foil. Bake until pork is tender, about 45 minutes.
- 3(Can be made 1 day ahead. Uncover; cool slightly. Cover; chill. Rewarm covered pork in 350ºF oven, about 20 minutes).
- 4Reduce oven temperature to 200ºF. Using tongs, transfer pork to large bowl, leaving onion mixture in baking dish. Pour contents of baking dish into strainer set over medium bowl. Return onion mixture to same baking dish, spreading evenly (reserve cooking liquid). Arrange pork atop onions; sprinkle with cheese. Cover dish with foil; set in oven to keep warm.
- 5Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add 5 tablespoons flour. Cook until mixture just begins to color, whisking often (mixture will be dry and crumbly), about 4 minutes. Gradually whisk in reserved cooking liquid. Bring sauce to boil, whisking constantly. Boil until thickened, whisking often, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6Transfer pork and onions to plates. Spoon sauce around pork and serve.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Chops With Caramelized Onions and Smoked Gouda
Serving Size: 1 (471 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 742.7
- Calories from Fat 424
- Total Fat 47.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 177.0 mg
- Sodium 544.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 52.6 g