Recipe by The Experimental Cook
A simple, cold-weather dinner for two in about 40-45 minutes from start to table. I often tend to make it up and experiment with my own version of what I cook. (hence my name) That was indeed the case with this yummy pork chop dinner. I think it's best served with fresh dinner bread or rolls. If you want to make this dinner for more than two just figure it this way : 1 apple, 1/2 onion, 1 potato, 1 pork chop per person. Use amounts of spices, cheese, oil and butter as necessary. Note* Using soft apples like McIntosh won't work well since they'll get too soft, too fast. You want to keep some substance to the onions and apples.
Top Review by Terra N.
This recipe was quick and easy to make, even when camping. The thick pork chops were so tender that you could cut them with a fork. Excellent melding of flavored with the apples and onions. This is a meal to repeat often!
- 2 center-cut pork chops (thick, at least 1 lb. each)
- 1 red onion (medium to large size)
- 2 apples, (medium size) Red Delicious or any firm texture apple you like
- 2 baking potatoes (large)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat large fry pan on med-high.
- Season pork chops on both sides with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Place chops in pan just to brown on each side, about 4 to 5 minutes turning once.
- Cut up onion and peeled apples into evenly sized chunks while meat is browning.
- Pierce potatoes with fork for venting. Heat on high in microwave for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove browned chops from pan and set aside.
- Add about 1 ½ TBSP of butter in pan and mix in with oil.
- Add onions to pan and stir to coat in butter and oil glaze.
- Add apples to pan when onions begin to soften and caramelize. Stir to coat.
- Add pork chops back into pan and cover, turning and stirring contents occasionally for about 15 to 20 minutes. Liquid in pan should become slightly thicker.
- While meat is cooking, slice baked potatoes into approximately ¼ inch slices.
- Remove skin and place slices from one potato in a layer in small baking dish.
- Add thin pats of butter and a generous sprinkling of shredded cheese on top of first layer.
- Repeat second layer the same way and place in oven until cheese just starts to brown.
- Place cooked pork chops on large serving plate. Spoon on saucy apples and onions.
- Bring it all together at the table and enjoy!
- Bon Appetite!