Recipe by HesterX
This is from the book "French Women Don't Get Fat". A perfect & light gourmet meal.
Top Review by sugarpea
This is quite good. I'm not fond of baked chops so I grilled them and added the wine and herbs to the sauteed apple mixture. The apple/celery/wine mixture would make a great side anytime, not just over pork chops. I wondered what kind of recipes were in the book, Hester. Thanks for sharing this one.
- 4 medium pork chops
- 4 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup vermouth
- 4 celery leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 stalks celery, washed and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 apples, cored and coarsely sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 ounces swiss cheese or 4 ounces jarlsberg cheese, coarsely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a baking pan and place the pork chops in it.
- Press a clove into each chop.
- Add the white wine, celery leaves, and bay leaves and put the pan in the preheated oven.
- Bake the chops for 30 minutes.
- While the pork chops are baking, in a frying pan saute the diced celery in the butter for 5 minutes, and then add the sliced apples and sprinkle with the brown sugar.
- Continue cooking over very low heat for 10 minutes, or until the apples are tender but not mushy.
- Finish the pork chops by removing the bay leaves and celery leaves and sprinkling the cheese over the top of each chop; baste and then broil for 3 minutes to brown the top.
- Serve the celery-apple mixture on the plate as an accompaniment to the pork chops.
- Use a few spoons of pan juices to further flavor the celery-apple mixture.