1 hr 5 mins
I only make stuffing from scratch at Thanksgiving and Christmas so I've taken to doctoring the box mixes. I put 4 chops in the instructions because those even numbers are usually what people are looking for however, at my grocery store the prepackaged thick or butterflied chops are sold in 3 packs. It's a pretty forgiving recipe though, just add another box of stuffing mix for up 6-8 chops and throw in more fruit and a larger pan. I increased the liquid by 1/4 c to allow for the onion and the fruit added to the mix.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 thick cut pork chops or 4 butterfly pork chops
- 1 (6 ounce) box stove top pork stuffing mix
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup apple juice or 3/4 cup cider
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2If pork chops are not butterflied, slice through leaving attached at one side so it opens like a book. Season inside and out with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3Heat a skillet on medium high heat with 2 T oil. Place pork cut side down in the pan.
- 4Leave for 4-5 minutes. Turn and fold the chop shut and brown each outer side of the meat. If the edges are very thick you can also brown the edges. The meat should not be cooked all the way through, only nicely seared and browned. Remove pan from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- 5To start the stuffing, add the apple liquid, chicken broth, onions, apples, cranberries and the butter to a saucepan and following directions bring to a boil.
- 6Once liquid is boiling stir in the bread and seasoning. Fold in well making sure all bread gets moistened. Cover. Remove from heat and let stand 5-10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- 7Arrange meat with the "hinged" side down in a 9x9 baking dish or cake pan sprayed with a nonstick spray. Fill the upward facing pockets of the pork with the stuffing. If you have any stuffing left, spoon around the base of the meat.
- 8Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes or the meat is cooked to your satisfaction.
- 9I still have a thing about pork and I tend to overcook it to this day. Please use your own judgment:).
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Chops W/ Apple Cranberry Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (408 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 601.0
- Calories from Fat 311
- Total Fat 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 106.0 mg
- Sodium 1018.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 28.7 g