Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I created this dish for my husband, as he loves the flavor of deeply caramelized onions. It was a big hit and is sure to become one of our regular meals. I served it with homemade applesauce and skillet country potatoes. Yummm!
- Season both sides of pork chops with garlic powder, sage, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Melt 2 tbs. butter in a large skillet over medium heat, evenly coating the bottom of the skillet.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Cook both sides of chops for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned. (Note: It is okay if the chops are not completely done, as there is more cooking time to come.).
- Push chops to outside edges of skillet. Melt the remaining 1 tbs. butter in the center of the skillet and add onions to the center of the skillet, sprinkling with sugar.
- Replace skillet cover and cook for 10 minutes, frequently tossing and stirring onions with a spatula. Onions are caramelized when tender and medium-brown in color. My husband prefers cooking them until slightly burned, as the flavor intensifies. (Note: Don't forget to watch your chops to make sure they don't burn.).
- Check chops for doneness before serving. They will be done when a fork piercing the thickest part of the chop draws clear juice. If the juice is pink, cook chops a bit longer until done. (Note: Make sure to watch onions, so they don't burn.).
- Serve pork chops with caramelized onions piled on top.
Not sure if I like the onions or the pork chops, but whatever, the onions are wonderful. We love them and carmelizing brings out the flavor. I always use boneless rib chops because they are much more tender than loin. Thanks for a great comfort food recipe.
This dish is amazing!!! I have never EVER cooked pork chops before and I tried making this dish tonight! OMG, not only was the recipe easy, it was quick and tasted outstanding! The onions paired well with the pork. I like my onions near burned as well and they really did bring out the flavors. Thanks so much for sharing this quick and easy recipe. My boyfriend is going to be proud of me and that means more brownie points for me. lol
Onions the way my hubby likes them too. Anything that pleases him pleases me; thanks for sharing. Made for the Aussie/NZ RS#33.