Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 4 -6 medium thick pork chops, well trimmed
- 1 -2 can sauerkraut, well drained
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 can beer or 1 bottle beer
- summer savory or marjoram
- Render fat in hot skillet and brown pork chops on both sides with sliced garlic (about 5 to 7 minutes a side).
- Remove chops from skillet; drain fat and remove garlic; reduce heat; return chops to skillet.
- Season both sides of chops.
- Cover chops with thinly sliced onion and then sauerkraut.
- Pour most of beer over all.
- Cover and simmer slowly for 45 minutes to 1 hour, baste occasionally; do not allow to cook dry.
- Goes well with sweet potatoes, baked beans, or corn.
This was wonderful!! The pork chops were so tender and the flavors were great. I use minced garlic and didn't remove it. I also didn't use marjoram or summer savory, because I didn't see it until it was too late, and I realized I didn't have any! I think next time I'd like to use a darker beer... I used Miller High Life. This is definitely a repeat. Thanks for a great recipe.
This was absolutely delicious. Very rich tasting and very filling. It was VERY easy to cook. Perfect for a busy afternoon of house cleaning. Put it on and leave it. My changes were minor. I used minced garlic and did not remove it. I seasoned the chops as they were cooking rather than after. Thanks for this new comfort food!