Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is another recipe from my childhood. In my home, you always got to request whatever you wanted for dinner on your birthday. Most years, I chose this (and Mom still makes it for me when I ask!). This is a great baked pork chop dish, the sauce keeps the chops from getting dry, and is wonderful to top a side of rice. Feel free to increase the amount of sauce, it's the best part. Don't feel that you need to use the high end center cut chops for this dish, it's a great way to use the less expensive "pork steak" cuts. If you prefer to use fresh mushrooms, add a pint of sliced mushrooms with the bacon and onions.
- 4 large pork steaks
- salt and pepper
- 5 slice bacon, sliced in 1/4 inch pieces
- 295.73 ml onions, chopped
- 2 (226.79 g) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 236.59 ml ketchup
- 473.19 ml sour cream
- 9.85 ml paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Season both sides of the pork chops with salt and pepper.
- Over high heat, sear the pork chops on both sides. Do not cook through.
- Remove pork for the pan and place in a baking dish. The chops should be snug, but not overlapping.
- Remove any excess grease from the saute pan if needed.
- Adjust heat to medium low.
- Add the bacon and onions to the pan, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is transparent.
- Add the mushrooms, ketchup, sour cream and paprkia. Stir until all the sauce ingredients are combined, and the sour cream "melts".
- Pour the sauce over the pork chops.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, and bake for 10 minutes more, or until chops reach the desired degree of doneness.
DH cooked these up for the family and they were very well received. We were a little skeptical about the amount of ketchup but once it was all cooked up the sauce was delicious. My picky eater had, not just 2nds, but finished mine as well (we used pork steak so they were quite big). Served the pork with Swedish Mashed Potato Pancakes. I had the sauce on the pancakes as a light lunch the next day and they paired very nicely :). Thanks for a keeper recipe, IngridH ! Made during ZWT#9 for my team, Tasty Testers :)
Pork chops are DH's favorite food group and this really hit the spot. The meat was well seasoned and very tender. Made a great meal served with Dilled Green Peas (Tilliherneet) and Two Potato Rosemary Saute for a wonderful meal. Made for ZWT9.
Just noticed that my review didn't 'stick' for this one. :roll: I made this as directed other than I sauteed some fresh mushrooms rather than using canned. A really nice flavor and the sauce was great over mashed potatoes as well. Thanks Ingrid for a nice keeper. Made for ZWT8 - Great Britain.