Meat is browned with fat drained. Ribs are cut in 2 or 3 rib pieces The sauce is poured over and the meat is baked . Everything can be made ahead of time, refrigerated and then baked. I like to use pork chops but any type of chop can be used, venison, elk, buffalo or beef round steak cut in serving pieces. Grilled pineapple can be served as a side dish with rice or noodles or mashed potatoes. The recipe started from using pineapple juice thickened with cornstarch and soaked dried apricots; years ago there was not combination preserves to the present recipe posted.Photos show pork chops, steak and maui maui fish. It is delicious with all meats.
- 2 lbs pork chops (approximately 6 chops) or 2 lbs pork ribs, cut in serving sizes
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup apricot pineapple preserves
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 drops hot sauce (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Mix the rub in a small bowl.
- Rub it in the meat on both sides and set aside.
- If the meat used does not have fat, heat two tablespoons of oil in a large fry pan.
- Lightly brown the meat.
- Place in a greased overproof dish or pan with lid.
- Saute the white sliced onions and set aside.
- Mix the sauce ingredients and add the one remaining tblsp of oil in a saucepan and heat until the sauce starts to simmer. Stir, turn low and taste. Add more hot sauce if desired.
- Preheat oven 350*.
- Pour sauce over chops or ribs, turning them to cover with sauce.
- Pour onions over the meat.
- You may use foil for a cover if desired.
- Cook for 1 hour.