Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe out of the 1994 edition Great American Cookbook and have used it many times. My wife and I like it as well as the rest of the family if they happen to be around. It's very easy to make and smells wonderful while it cooks. I served this today with a baked white acorn squash and buttered brussel sprouts.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 pork chops, cut 1/2 to 3/4 in. thick
- seasoning salt
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, which ever you like
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) bag O'Brien potatoes, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (2 7/8 ounce) can French-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large siillet heat the oil and brown the pork chops on both sides. Drain.
- Season the chops with the Seasoned Salt.
- Set chops aside.
- In a large bowl combine soup, milk, sour cream, pepper and 1/2 tsp Seasoned salt.
- Stir in potatoes, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 can of French Fried onions.
- Spoon the mixture into a 9 x 13 inches baking dish.
- Arrange the pork chops on top.
- Bake, covered at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until pork chops are done.
- Top the chops with the remaining cheese and onions.
- Bake (uncovered) 5 minutes until cheese is melted and onions are brown.
We loved this recipe! Had some leftovers, and I'm going to sprinkle extra french onion rings and some extra cheese on top when I warm it up tonite. thanks for posting a great recipe.. and you know, if you wanted too, you could leave off the pork chops and it would make a great side dish!
Made this for tuesday night Dinner and even my finicky four year old enjoyed it. Simple to make to.. comfort food at it's Finest!
We really enjoyed this dish. Since there are only 2 of us I only used 4 chops. That was enough for 2 meals, and some of the yummy potatoes left over as a side dish with steak later in the week. Served with Green Beans and Cornbread. Thanks for posting will be making this again for sure!