Recipe by ciao
I have one word for this dish--wow! It's so quick and easy to get to the table, but the flavor is amazing. The pork stays nice and moist,and is even better the second day. I like this with yellow rice and refried beans on the side. Don't let the chocolate throw you if you've never had mole sauce. It's such a small amount, and it doesn't make it sweet, it just adds a deeper, richer flavor to the sauce. From Cooking Light. A side note on the cilantro, if you don't like the flavor of it, you can leave it out. Or I've found that dried cilantro is much milder than fresh.
Top Review by Just Cher
This is truly a great recipe and one you should be proud of. I got a new stove top grill for Xmas and decided to grill the chops for a few minutes on each side instead of the oil but the rest of the recipe I followed exactly. I loved how the flavors build on each other. I am sooooooooo glad you suggested it! It will now be a family favorite! Thank you
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pork chops, each approx 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper, strips
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, strips
- 1 minced and seeded jalapeno
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with onion and garlic, undrained
- 1⁄2 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medum high heat.
- Cook the chops for about 4 minutes on each side, till browned.
- Remove chops from pan.
- Add the water to the pan, and scrape up all the good stuff.
- Pour the water over the chops, and set aside.
- Put pan back on burner, and add a bit of oil if you need to.
- Add onion, bell and jalapeno peppers.
- Cook for 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in chocolate and next 4 ingredients.
- Add chops and water mixture back to the pan, bring to a boil.
- Sprinkle with cilantro, cover, reduce heat to med-low, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.