Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Got this idea after seeing a hilarious parody of those old GI Joe cartoons. It's actually more appetizing than the name suggests.
- 2 boneless pork chops, flattened
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1⁄2 gala apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon white wine (or water)
- grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- Pound out the pork chops to half an inch thick. If you can, control the shape to be more of a rectangle than a square, so it fits better to the shape of the bread. In a frying pan, melt the oil and 1/2 tbsp butter on medium high heat and add the onions. Saute for approx 5 minutes or until lightly golden. Add the apples and cook for approx 3 minutes or until soft and caramelized. Pour onion and apple mixture into a bowl and set aside. Season the pork chops with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add 1/2 tbsp butter to pan and when melted add the pork chops. Cook for 5 minutes each side or until done. Add the wine (or water) to deglaze pan and cook for another 3 minutes to reduce. Cut french bread into 6 - 7 inch long portions, cut in half and spread mayonnaise and grainy mustard. Place the chops and onion/apple mixture, topped with cheddar cheese.
Hello! Came upon your recipe when I was looking for something to make for dinner without having to make a trip to the grocery store. How happy I am that I came upon this recipe! Easy, quick..and so delicious! Never would've thought to pair the onions and apples together...but the whole combination worked so wonderfully! I think next time I'll add a little heat and maybe some sort of green - perhaps arugula for the peppery quality. Thanks for sharing!
Those GI Joe cartoons are totally awesome. I can't wait to try this now!