Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Good winter time comfort food. Just add a salad for a complete meal. I found this recipe in an old issue of Good Housekeeping, 1980.
- 4 pork blade steaks or 4 pork sirloin steaks, each cut 3/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- oregano leaves
- 1 cup buttermilk baking mix (bisquick)
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Coat pork chops with flour.
- In a 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat, in hot oil, cook pork chops until well browned on both sides.
- Remove chops to a shallow 2 1/2 qt.
- In drippings remaining in skillet over medium heat, cook green and red peppers, mushrooms, onion and garlic until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes with their liquid, salt, sugar, crushed red pepper, and 1/4 tsp.
- oregano leaves.
- Spoon vegetable mixture over pork chops in casserole.
- Cover and bake in 375° oven 1 hour.
- Skim off fat from liquid in casserole.
- Prepare dumplings: In a small bowl with fork, stir buttermilk baking mix, milk and 1/4 oregano leaves just until blended.
- Drop dumpling mixture into eight mounds in casserole; bake, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Cover casserole and bake 10 minutes longer or until dumplings are set and pork is tender.
The pork was tender and delicious. This was an excellent recipe that we shall be making a regular part of our repertoire. Hubby isn't in to spicy, so I left out the red pepper.
This chops were delicious, delicious, delicious!!!! I made only one variation and that was to put it in the crockpot on low for 5hrs then cook dumplins last 30 min or so.I will be making this recipe again and again!!Meat was fall of the fork tender with just a little bite!!Great recipe:)
We really enjoyed this. I had two thick chops and they cooked perfectly. I made the dumplings but won't next time as they didn't add anything. I served this over wide noodles and enjoyed leftover noodles and veggies for lunch the next day.