1 hr 10 mins
For rsc 10, this is a lovely main dish incorporating contest ingredients, and is perfect for autumn. I used Granny Smith apples for their tartness, but you can use Gala, Jonathan, or any other cooking apples.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless pork chops
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, sliced
- 1 cup barley
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1Preheat oven to 375f.
- 2Heat 1 tbsp oil in skillet.
- 3Season pork with salt, pepper, sage and thyme, brown on both sides 4 mins per side, remove.
- 4Add extra olive oil if needed.
- 5Sauté onion, garlic, peppers until softened.
- 6Add barley and coat, stir in stock and bring to a boil.
- 7Lower heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- 8Stir in chopped apple.
- 9Put barley mixture into a casserole pan.
- 10Top with pork chops and bake, covered for 40 minutes.
- 11Mix butter, maple syrup, cinnamon and brown sugar in a small dish.
- 12Uncover casserole, add pork and apple slices, and brush with maple sugar mixture.
- 13Cook an additional 10-15 minutes.
- 14Let it stand a few minutes, and serve.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Chop Barley Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (543 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 680.1
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 143.7 mg
- Sodium 364.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 20.6 g
- Protein 50.3 g