Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
For rsc 10, this is a lovely main dish incorporating contest ingredients, and is perfect for autumn. I used Granny Smith apples for their tartness, but you can use Gala, Jonathan, or any other cooking apples.
- 4 boneless pork chops
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, sliced
- 1 cup barley
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375f.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in skillet.
- Season pork with salt, pepper, sage and thyme, brown on both sides 4 mins per side, remove.
- Add extra olive oil if needed.
- Sauté onion, garlic, peppers until softened.
- Add barley and coat, stir in stock and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chopped apple.
- Put barley mixture into a casserole pan.
- Top with pork chops and bake, covered for 40 minutes.
- Mix butter, maple syrup, cinnamon and brown sugar in a small dish.
- Uncover casserole, add pork and apple slices, and brush with maple sugar mixture.
- Cook an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Let it stand a few minutes, and serve.
This was GREAT! That being said, I did not put the apples and the sweet glaze on top. Instead, I cooked it in a loaf pan beside the casserole. I knew it would not be to our taste on top. My son and I LOVED it for dessert though! The barley mixture cooked up perfectly. This is a nice change from the usual. Thanks for sharing!