Recipe by Julie in TX
I got this recipe out of a German family cookbook which was compiled by some women in my home town. It's a great combination of pork chops & kraut. I like the chops to be about 1" thick. I believe they're much jucier than thin chops.
- 6 pork chops
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 3⁄4 cups apple juice
- 32 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 unpared granny smith apples or 2 rome apples, cored and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- Pam cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Put enough oil in bottom of skillet to cover the bottom.
- Brown the chops on both sides until lightly browned.
- Remove the chops to drain on paper towels.
- Add onion and apple to the pan drippings and cook until onions are transparent.
- Deglaze the skillet with 1/4 cup apple juice, stirring to loosen brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Turn heat off under skillet and add sauerkraut, onion mixture, brown sugar,caraway seeds, and the remaining apple juice.
- Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with Pam.
- Place sliced potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spread the sauerkraut mixture over the potatoes in the baking dish.
- Top with the pork chops.
- Sprinkle the chops with salt and pepper.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 2 hours or until the meat and potatoes are fork tender.
- Baste the meat occasionally with the liquid in the baking dish.