2 hrs 45 mins
Julie in TX's Note:
I got this recipe out of a German family cookbook which was compiled by some women in my home town. It's a great combination of pork chops & kraut. I like the chops to be about 1" thick. I believe they're much jucier than thin chops.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 pork chops
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 3/4 cups apple juice
- 32 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 unpared granny smith apples or 2 rome apples, cored and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- Pam cooking spray
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Put enough oil in bottom of skillet to cover the bottom.
- 3Brown the chops on both sides until lightly browned.
- 4Remove the chops to drain on paper towels.
- 5Add onion and apple to the pan drippings and cook until onions are transparent.
- 6Deglaze the skillet with 1/4 cup apple juice, stirring to loosen brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- 7Turn heat off under skillet and add sauerkraut, onion mixture, brown sugar,caraway seeds, and the remaining apple juice.
- 8Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with Pam.
- 9Place sliced potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish.
- 10Spread the sauerkraut mixture over the potatoes in the baking dish.
- 11Top with the pork chops.
- 12Sprinkle the chops with salt and pepper.
- 13Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 2 hours or until the meat and potatoes are fork tender.
- 14Baste the meat occasionally with the liquid in the baking dish.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Chop and Sauerkraut Supper
Serving Size: 1 (618 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.2
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 137.3 mg
- Sodium 1365.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 19.1 g
- Protein 45.2 g