Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
In 'The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever' by Beatrice Ojakangas
Make and share this Pork Chop and Apple Bake With Caraway Noodles recipe from Food.com.
- 6 tablespoons butter, plus extra for the dish
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 pork chops, 1 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider
- 1 (8 ounce) package egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°; lightly butter a shallow 2-quart casserole or 8-inch square baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, mustard, pepper, and allspice; coat pork chops with the flour mixture; set aside the remaining seasoned flour.
- In a skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter; add in pork chops and brown on both sides; transfer to plate and set aside.
- Stir the brown sugar and reserved flour into the meat drippings in the skillet to make a thick paste.
- Over medium-high heat, gradually whisk in the apple cider and continue whisking until thickened and smooth; remove from the heat.
- Toss the noodles with the remaining 4 tablespoons butter and add in the caraway seeds; spread in the casserole.
- Arrange the apple slices over the pork chops and place on top of the noodles in the casserole, sprinkle with the raisins, and pour the sauce over all.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- Bake, covered, for 1 hour or until the chops are tender; serve hot.
Just right, sweet but not too much, and flavourful. Easy, too.