Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I've made several others chili verde recipes, all of which were good, but I changed so many things to suit our own taste (and time constraints) that I figured I'd post my version. Since I roast the poblanos on the grill, I started browning the pork there too, saves time and makes less of a mess than doing it in the pot. Hope you enjoy!
- 3 lbs pork sirloin roast (bone in)
- 4 poblano peppers (medium to large sized)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 1 medium bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 6 ounces culantro (I use Goya reciato but there is recipe Recaito posted here very good!)
- 16 ounces salsa verde (jarred)
- 49 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- lime wedge (to garnish)
- Roast, peel, seed and chop poblano pepper (divide in half).
- Over high heat, Grill pork roast to brown on all sides, transfer to plate and cover,.
- In a large pot, add oil, onion, garlic, peppers, coriander, cumin and half of the chopped poblanos - sautee until soft.
- Add reciato salsa chicken broth, half of the lime juice and stir to combine.
- Once the liquid begins to simmer, return the pork roast to the pot.
- Cover and simmer on low, at least 3 hours (the longer the better) You can make this in a crock pot too, works quite well.
- Once pork is falling off bone, remove from pot. remove the bone and any visible fat and shred the meat.
- Return the meat to the pot and stir into the liquids. Add remaining lime juice and fresh cilantro. (turn the heat off).
- spoon into bowls and garnish with more fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
- (you can add drained, rinsed canned white beans to this near the end of the cooking time to really stretch this to feed a HUGE crowd).