4 hrs 30 mins
I've made several others chili verde recipes, all of which were good, but I changed so many things to suit our own taste (and time constraints) that I figured I'd post my version. Since I roast the poblanos on the grill, I started browning the pork there too, saves time and makes less of a mess than doing it in the pot. Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs pork sirloin roast (bone in)
- 4 poblano peppers (medium to large sized)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 1 medium bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 6 ounces culantro (I use Goya reciato but there is recipe Recaito posted here very good!)
- 16 ounces salsa verde (jarred)
- 49 1/2 ounces chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- lime wedge (to garnish)
- 1Roast, peel, seed and chop poblano pepper (divide in half).
- 2Over high heat, Grill pork roast to brown on all sides, transfer to plate and cover,.
- 3In a large pot, add oil, onion, garlic, peppers, coriander, cumin and half of the chopped poblanos - sautee until soft.
- 4Add reciato salsa chicken broth, half of the lime juice and stir to combine.
- 5Once the liquid begins to simmer, return the pork roast to the pot.
- 6Cover and simmer on low, at least 3 hours (the longer the better) You can make this in a crock pot too, works quite well.
- 7Once pork is falling off bone, remove from pot. remove the bone and any visible fat and shred the meat.
- 8Return the meat to the pot and stir into the liquids. Add remaining lime juice and fresh cilantro. (turn the heat off).
- 9spoon into bowls and garnish with more fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
- 10(you can add drained, rinsed canned white beans to this near the end of the cooking time to really stretch this to feed a HUGE crowd).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Chili Verde
Serving Size: 1 (1102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 734.7
- Calories from Fat 372
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 197.4 mg
- Sodium 1369.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 70.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: