Recipe by Tom in Maryland
Our recipe has added Vegetable and Spice content -- and is based on Pork to save on the Cholesterol! This recipe yields a lively, spicy Pork-based chili. It tends of have some level of hotness, yet is not overpowered by the spice. The Serrano peppers give it a distinctly pleasant form of spiciness.
Top Review by nonperishable
Great chili recipe - and pretty quick to put together. We have a toddler so we serve ours over pasta and shredded cheddar cheese. Very yummy. It makes a big pot so it's also a favorite for leftovers.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 serrano peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in heavy bottomed soup pot. Set heat to medium high. Saute the Serrano peppers, garlic, and onions until tender.
- Add Pork and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the beans. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the beans, heat to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes until desired thickness is reached.