Recipe by JustJanS
I searched all over for a pork chili using minced (ground) pork, but couldn't find one (or one to suit) so came up with my own version. Russell thought it was an actual recipe and gave it 5 stars ;-) This doesn't make a huge pot of chili like some recipes I see, but is enough for 4 hearty eaters. We like our chili over rice.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced fine and small
- 500 g ground pork (ground)
- 3 tablespoons Mexican chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili flakes
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 (400 g) canpeeled chopped tomatoes
- 1 (400 g) can red kidney beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil over medium heat and fry onion and garlic gently until softened (about 10 minutes).
- Add pork and chorizo sausage and cook unti pordk changes colour.
- Add the spices, sugar, cocoa, stock powder and sugar and stir cooking for about 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste to the pan and cook it for a few minutes-I think this takes away the "raw" taste.
- Add the water and tomatoes and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours and until it is a nice thick consistency (add more water if it gets too thick).
- About 15 minutes before serving, add the kidney beans to the chili.
- We like to eat our chili topped with sour cream, grated cheese and pickled jalapenos and sometimes guacomale.