Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Chile Verde is always what I order at a Mexican restaurant but sometime I'm dissatisfied when the food was brought out. So I determined to make this at home. I didn't have a clue, but this is what I came up with. The spice level can be changed to your liking just leave some of the serrano peppers out.You can use any kind of peppers you like, just to be sure have some spicy and some just for flavor. Serve with warm tortillas and rice and beans for a Mexican dinner. Hope you like it as much as my family!
- 20 -25 tomatillos
- 2 serrano peppers
- 2 pasilla chiles
- 1 anaheim chili
- 1 onion, chunked
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro
- 3 -4 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -5 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Husk and remove stems and rinse tomatillos.
- Remove stems and rinse all peppers and slice in half. Depending on your taste you can either leave the seeds in or take them out.
- Boil tomatillos and peppers together until the tomatillos are a light yellow and are soft to the touch. Don't over cook. You don't want the tomatillos to break open.
- I use a ladle to pull out the tomatillos and peppers.
- Place them in a blender.
- Roughly chop cilantro leaves and add them to the blender. Blend well.
- I leave the peppers in the blender while I brown the pork in the pot that I will simmer everything inches.
- Brown chunked pork in olive oil and all the seasonings. Add onion. Add the garlic last so it doesn't burn.
- Combine blended peppers with with pork and chicken stock. Simmer on low for 2 hours.
- This is how I freeze it. I find it is best to freeze the chile verde in a flat surface, like a 9x13 pan. Spray with Pam first.cover and freeze. When completely frozen take out and you can cut to any size to fit your families needs. I take the cut sections and seal them into our foodsaver bags.
- To reheat place sections in to a pan on low and bring to a simmer. Then enjoy.
- You and even put the sections into a crock pot set on low and enjoy after a day of work.
We had this for a Cinco de Mayo party and it was all gone by the end of the night. The only thing we did different was to add a jalepeno to it and we will add two next time.thanks for your work we loved it. Dan from Mpls.