Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I combined a few recipes together to come up with fried rice that really hits the spot. This recipe is great for using up leftover meat, and I love the bit of flavor from the sesame oil and oyster sauce. Adjusting the recipe for fewer or more people is easy. I often serve this with Egg Foo Yung (For 2) With Oriental Sauce.
- 2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 cup lean pork or 1 cup chicken or 1 cup shrimp, cooked and diced
- 1⁄2 cup baby carrots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup frozen sweet peas
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Bring water and bullion cubes to a boil.
- Add rice and return to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove rice from heat, let stand 3 minutes. (The rice should be slightly undercooked so that it won't be sticky to work with).
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil.
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan over high heat.
- Add rice and meat to pan and stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour soy sauce mixture over rice and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, peas, green onions and lightly beaten eggs to pan.
- Cook until eggs are done and carrots are beginning to soften, about 4-5 minutes.
For flavor and ease it gets 5 stars! For technique, it get's 3.5 stars. I followed the recipe exactly and found the way they tell you to add the eggs, makes it a mushy mess. So next time i will definatley make a spot in the middle of my wok to scramble the egg in and will not just pour it over top to make a mushy eggy mess. Overall though, the recipe is great!
Great taste! but mushy mess.:(
I have a house-full of picky eaters and they absolutely loved this recipe! I topped it with a shrimp sauce that I found the recipe for and it was GREAT! The only thing I did differently was I followed the suggestion of another reviewer and I cooked my eggs before adding them to the rice. I will definitely be making this again...thanks!